Monday, June 4, 2012

My European Vacation

I think I'll just publish this and add to it as I compose it, since it's going to be really long, take a long time, and since I've been putting off writing for so long!

Before I went off to start my own life and get a job and such, I went on a vacation to Europe with my family. All made possible by my dad's humongous big amount of frequent flier miles and hotel points (seriously, we only paid like $80 in taxes for the airfare!)


Looooong plane ride, arrived in Brussels after being awake for a very long time.


Very excited to still be awake, as you can see!

Took a train to Amsterdam, specifically Schiphol (it's where the airport is).

Amsterdam!

Amsterdam was awesome. They openly admit they aren't the cleanest or shiniest, but it still had a very clean and welcoming feel to it. Joke as you want about the drugs and "open" culture, but it was very refreshing to be in a place where everyone lived by a very simple principle: as long as you're not interfering with someone else's life, you can do whatever you want.

Me and the brothers
Amsterdam Central Station

Trams take you wherever you want throughout Amsterdam. Very convenient! 
More Amsterdam architecture 
Silly Goose!

There are tons of canals in Amsterdam, and we went on a canal boat tour.







London!

Tower Bridge!

First we were off to see the Tower of London.

 Little bro derping it up when I'm trying to take a picture


 My best "I'm getting stabbed in the bum by a statue" face

I was dared to take a crappy Facebook-stereotypical self-picture 

 I took two.

Looking nervous next to a really big sword 


We were in London just as everyone was preparing for the Queen's Diamond Jubilee




DARGON

Self-explanatory





We got to go up into the Tower Bridge:




 View of the drawbridge machinery


We also saw a floating museum of the HMS Belfast:







 Soon.
 Big Ben (is actually the bell inside the clocktower, now named the Elizabeth Tower)
 Buckingham Palace and the Queen's Carriage at the changing of the guard 
 Westminster Abbey. Sorry, no photography allowed inside... :(

 Too cool.

 Parliament




 Getting closer!

 Wheeeeeee



 At the top


 Found an arcade, 4-player competitive Pac Man!
 In the end, I was too powerful to defeat!
 I "deleted" the pictures of my brothers playing DDR (poorly).
 There might also be a video hidden on my hard drive somewhere. ;)


I liked it.


We also got to go to the Winston Churchill War Experience. It was in a fortified underground bunker that housed many important people during the air raids over London in early WWII.







Me and one of those telephone boxes. Had to grab this stereotypical tourist pic!

Also got to see the Royal Air Force Museum:












An interesting mentality...




Paris!

Can actually take pictures inside Notre Dame!





















Also went to the Louvre 


















 Arc de Triomphe:  




No comments:

Post a Comment