Friday, February 17, 2012

TGIFF

I figured this blog wouldn't be very interesting if it was nothing but me complaining all the time, so I figured I'd summarize some of the happier things that happened this week.


Monday: The first of all of the long days I've had this week, we had our Spotts Lecture in the evening. Class all day, got to go out to dinner with my dad and a colleague of his (who were attending the lecture) and my friends, which was awesome. The lecture was on the role engineers at the Mayo Clinic. Started off a little slow with the "ancient" history of the clinic, but finally got to some really interesting things. It was neat to see how engineers and physicians collaborate to come up with some truly astounding stuff. It also helps that I was familiar with the medical engineering field, since my dad's worked in it for a long time - picked up a lot over the years.

Tuesday: More work on senior design, more work at work. This week's been a blur, totally blanking out about Tuesday...

Wednesday: Review board for our senior design project. It was not fun - being done with it was a very good feeling. Attended presentation afterward from Fenetech / Rovisys, got some good pointers for the career fair the next day.

Thursday: Two labs with a career fair sandwiched between them. Sprinted through the first lab, dressed up all professional-like. Went to the career fair, talked a long time with staff from both Rovisys and Diebold. Talked to two different engineers from Rovisys for awhile, learned more about the company, told a few jokes, told I was at least getting a callback. They seemed fairly interested in me, but since they don't do the hiring themselves, they couldn't guarantee much more than a callback. I'm really interested in Rovisys because they have positions that actually interest me, and they seem like a very friendly and relaxed workplace. I had a phone interview with Diebold last November, but at that time, they were only looking for winter graduates. They remembered who I was (one staff member at the fair was the one who interviewed me), which was very promising. Will be hearing back from them in a week or two, very excited to see if I can grab interviews with both. They're both EE jobs in the area of electronics/systems engineering, which is my preferred discipline. Both companies are also very near to some close friends and family, which would be awesome to have close! I also talked to a handful of other companies and distributed resumes, but those two companies really stood out to me.

Friday: Getting a not-so-fun Control Systems exam out of the way, then cruising through the rest of classes/work before hanging out with friends. TGIFF!

1 comment:

  1. yayyy Fenetech! I'm hoping one of those works out for you so we can be cool and hang out all the time :D

    ReplyDelete